Monday, May 9, 2011

Optical Art

Optical “Op” art is based on the idea that what one sees is determined by how one sees. It is a type of abstract art driven by mathematics. Op art can create an illusion of vibration, a false sense of depth, the illusion of movement, and other effects. The op art movement was led by Bridget Riley and Victor Vasarely. This painting by Bridget Riley is an example of optical art that gives the viewer a false sense of depth. Not everyone may see it the same, but as I look at this painting, I see the surfaces of the painting sloping inward towards the center. It seems as though there is a valley that continues on into the painting, but we all know that this is not possible.

“Sir-Ris” by Victor Vasarely is another example of the illusion of depth.


I guess I’m not exactly sure how op art works, but I know that it works somehow because I definitely started feeling nauseous as I was writing this blog. The pictures clearly aren’t moving in any way, but they are created to deceive the viewer into thinking that they are experiencing movement.  I find that whole concept really interesting, and I guess I never really thought about it as art before now. I always just viewed it as more scientific or mathematical.



I agree that art is seen differently by every person who views it, but op art is one technique that artists can use to control, to an extent, what those who view their art experience.


4 comments:

  1. I had never really thought of Op art as actual "art" until thise seciton either. I had always just sort of thought of illusions as fun images rather than art. That's a pretty interesting point you made about artists being able to control what their viewer sees. I agree with it in a way, because they're basically just designs, but I also think part of the fun about Op art is that everyone can see something different depending on their perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought of optical illusions as "art" as well. I remember that my science classes would have them on the walls, so I always associated op art with science or math, rather than as art. I think that it is so cool how the art tricks your eye into thinking that the painting is moving or that colors are changing. Everyone sees something different when they look at an optical illusion and I find that to be genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really awesome that everyone sees Op art in a different way. I have always been intrigued by illusions and to me they have more right to be considered art than the really abstract stuff which consists of a couple of dots on canvas. The artists of Op art really had to think outside the box. They allowed their audiences to interact with the art, while super abstract art just confuses everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it came to optical illusions, I just thougt of them as just fun little tricks. They were challenges to see if you could change your perspective and see something completely different. I like what you said about how it's how you see it rather than what you see because it's completely true. The best part of op art is you can change how you see the image.

    ReplyDelete